Monday, January 14, 2013

The Countdown Begins, Plus Turkey Burgers

     I should probably feel thankful, considering that a good portion of college kids have already started classes back, but I am so dreading the start of this semester! This is the first college break that I've had where I'm not working and I absolutely love it! I have stayed fairly busy crocheting and playing video games, and over the weekend I bought my first ever sewing machine from a lady. I can't wait to see what I can get into with it. I think the fact that I've been so productive is what is making dread returning to such a cluttered schedule. With that said, I'm going to make the short eight days I  have left seriously count. 
     I also wanted to post about one of the most popular meals in our household- turkey burgers with sweet potato fries. It's healthy and cheap (preformed turkey patties are almost always on special around here, apparently not many people are aware of their awsomeness?) I cook the patties in my electric skillet with a little vegetable oil and salt, pepper, and coriander. We usually top them with colby-jack cheese (yum) and I mix up some spicy mayo to go on mine (2 parts mayo to 1 part mustard, cayenne pepper and red pepper flakes mixed in), along with some caramelized onions if I'm in the mood. Sweet potato fries are easier to make than you would expect. Just peel the skin off and cut into desired- sized fry shapes, toss in a bowl with oil, about 1 tsp of brown sugar per sweet potato, and seasonings (I like to use cinnamon, garlic salt, and cayenne pepper.)  Space them out on a cookie sheet and bake at 450 for around 30 minutes, making sure to flip them around 15 minutes through. These are delicious! I like mine with ketchup, but Matt prefers just to sprinkle on more cinnamon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment