Thursday, January 3, 2013

My Meatloaf Brings All the Boys to the Yard... My Savory Chicken Meatloaf Recipe

     I am a decently good cook. Not the best, mind you, but I can crank out some yummies. Which comes in handy because my husband is insanely picky. Thankfully, I have a dinner that never fails to please- meatloaf. The first time I made a meatloaf was the first time Matt had ever had meatloaf, so when he gobbled it up like ambrosia, I was shocked. I couldn't believe MY husband was a meatloaf fan. Granted, this isn't my mama's meatloaf, which is always made of ground beef and usually winds up somewhat dry (sorry Mama!)
Yum-yum for the tum- tum!

     I like to experiment with my meatloaf- for example, if I have them on hand, I will grate up a nice, big carrot and add it in. My hubs isn't a huge fan of veggies, so I get them down him any way I can. This is an outline of my recipe, though you can mess with it quite a bit- I hardly ever make it exactly the same way twice:

- 1lb of ground chicken
- 1 egg
- 2 heels and 1 regular slice of bread, cut up into little cubes
- all but about a tablespoon of a pack of Lipton's onion soup mix 
- a generous squirt of ketchup (4-ish tablespoons?)
- a generous squirt of Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce
- a couple tablespoons of finely chopped sweet onions

     And for the sauce on top, I use the remaining Liptop's onion soup mix combined with another squirt of ketchup plus a squirt of Sweet Baby Ray's and just spread it evenly over- top of the loaf mixture. I bake it on 350 for around 45 minutes. And presto! Instant delicious. My hubs usually isn't a leftover fan, but if by some miracle we wind up with leftovers, he is all over them. 
     I can see celery and maybe some other veggies working out good in this recipe- hope it works out well for you if you decide to give it a shot! 

No comments:

Post a Comment